With modern life busier than ever and many of us spending long days in the office, we recommend taking the time to escape to the great outdoors on a caravan and camping trip!
Spending time in nature is the perfect way to unwind and escape from the pressures of day to day life, and there’s nothing quite like the tranquility of relaxing under the stars.
However, if you’re up for a bit of adventure or want to make the most of Australia’s outdoor experiences, we have a few suggestions…
- Head out fishing and catch your own dinner: Whether you’re an experienced angler or heading out for the first time, our coastlines are the perfect place to hone your fishing skills. Each state has something different to offer, so do a bit of research, grab some bait and get ready to cast your line! Fishing trips offer a unique combination of serenity and excitement, and nothing quite compares to the satisfaction of catching and cooking your own dinner…
- Get active in the Great Outdoors: Some of the most rewarding outdoor experiences are the ones that are also good for you! If you’re staying near a beach, activities like beach cricket, volleyball and swimming are a great way to make the most of our natural wonders while also getting a healthy hit of endorphins. If you’re staying inland, why not head out on a hiking expedition or hire a bike to explore the area?
- Spot a shooting star: For those who live in a big city, an uninterrupted view of the starry night sky is a rare treat. A camping trip in the country is the perfect time to lay a blanket under the stars, spy some constellations, and maybe even spot a shooting star!
- Get out on the water: Some of Australia’s best caravan and camping spots are conveniently located by beautiful bodies of water! The activities on offer will depend on where you are staying, but could include things like kayaking, snorkelling, stand-up paddle-boarding, or simply floating along on an inflatable raft and reading a good book. If you have access to a boat, you might even be able to try some more extreme options like water skiing or tubing!
- Explore your surroundings and really get into nature: All camping trips are a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with nature, but have you thought about taking it one step
further? If you’re staying near a national park, rainforest or bushland, exploring your surroundings is the perfect way to truly immerse yourself in the great outdoors. You can look out for wildlife, try your hand at identifying flora and fauna, or take some time for photography or sketching. Make sure to wear weather appropriate gear, bring a water bottle and map, and don’t stray too far!
Photo credit: BIG4 Ingenia Holidays Lake Conjola
Tips for exploring the great outdoors
Protect: Don’t forget to slip, slop, slap, even in cool weather.
Prepare for the conditions: Think insect repellent, appropriate footwear, and any necessary safety precautions.
Be flexible: Outdoor activities can often depend on the weather, so make sure to keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared to change your plans if necessary.
Check out the options at your holiday park: Many caravan holiday parks and campgrounds run their own tours and activities (often with great prices), so make sure to check out what they have on offer!
*This article originally appeared in Caravan Industry Association of Australia’s ‘Reconnect’ magazine, published in conjunction with NewsCorp.
Photo credit: Sean Scott, Tourism NT
November 19, 2019